Planning your Student Society Events
The magic and mayhem of University Freshers Week is about to get underway across the country! For student society committees far and wide, now is the perfect time to map out your society events calendar for the coming year.
Before we get started with Student Event Inspo, there’s a bunch of stuff to consider when planning out your society events agenda.
First up - what is the demographic of your student society members?
What types of activities do they enjoy? What's your year group spread? Are they local or international students? How do your members enjoy spending their time? What excites them? What are they passionate about?
Secondly - what does your society stand for?
What are your society objectives for the coming year? Are you aiming to attract new students to sign up? Are you trying to encourage existing and new society members to gel and form a tight knit community? Are you seeking to attract sponsors through your events?
Thirdly - big ideas but limited student numbers or budget?
Can you team up with other like-minded inter or extra-university societies to expand the reach, influence and available funds for your society events? Which societies complement yours? Beyond collaboration, do you have a sound strategy in place for generating funds via university grants, sponsorships and fundraising activities?
Lastly - Is your society supported by a solid, well-rounded executive team and a forward planned interesting and exciting events schedule? Recognise you can’t do everything yourself. If you have limited resource to allocate to managing your events - seek support from OzParty Events, an experienced student event planning company that are easy to work with, have a vast network, local experience and exclusive access to preferential student rates.
“Make sure you build the momentum beyond freshers week, with a well planned exiting and diverse events calendar to maintain interest in your society and reduce the drop-out rate,” says Dan Udall, Founder OzParty Events.
Top Student Event Ideas
Fun Student Party Nights
1. Student Pub Crawl
Bar hopping through Sydney’s best students bars on a super fun student pub crawl is a guaranteed awesome student night out! Jump on a party bus with your experienced event hosts and party your way around the city's best bars and clubs!
- Book a pro photographer to capture all the memories to share amongst current and future members post-event.
- For a smooth night, ensure entry is pre-booked and have your experienced event host manage timings, work with your student event planner to choose the best student bars and deals!
2. Sydney Harbour Cruise
For many students, this may be their first experience of visiting and studying in Sydney. Be sure to play to Sydney’s natural attractions, the most iconic being Sydney Harbour, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House.
There are an abundance of Sydney boats to choose from for student cruises ranging from budget catamarans to spectacular glass island floating vessels. The standard of vessel and student package inclusions vary widely.
- Smooth guest check-in is key in setting first impressions. Ideally pre-wristband guests or work from electronic check-in.
- Quality of sound and lighting, plus control over the DJ playlist can make or break the night! Often the vessel built-in sound system is inadequate for a student party.
- All-inclusive beverage packages always go down well! Catering options range from party pizza, or platters to buffets or seated banquet dining.
- Be sure to bundle up your cruise with an official student after party to finish up the night!
3. Student Nightclub Package - Venue Takeovers
Party the night away with your society with an exclusive venue takeover at a popular student bar or night club! Enjoy private venue hire with drinks specials, your choice in music and optional theming and entertainment.
Popular student themes that are easy to adopt and cheap include toga, bad taste, one-colour, and fluro.
- For added venue entertainment a UV party or foam party makes for a great Student party idea!
- Student party nights with full venue takeover do require minimum numbers for exclusive venue hire, so be sure to book and spread the word early, avoid peak study and exam dates, and book multiple transfers from the uni to make it easy for students to arrive at the venue.
Fun Student Activity Ideas
There are a host of amazing student activities in Sydney to choose from, catering for just about every society's whims!
1. Student Sporting Activities
The possibilities for fun student sporting activities are endless! Popular sporting activity ideas include bubble soccer and laser tag combo, jet boating, ten pin bowling, paint balling, trampolining, dodgeball, ninja warrior courses, indoor or outdoor go karting, paddle boarding, kayaking and crazy golf. For more unique student event ideas, consider axe throwing or even rap jumping!
- Before booking your student activities, be sure to check for participation restrictions, age, height, weight, fitness etc.
- Make a full day of it and team up the daytime activity with an evening pub crawl. And the award for Best Student Society Events goes to…….!
2. Creative and ‘Learn and Skill’ Activities
There are no shortage of options for the more creative oriented societies in Sydney. Popular ideas include flower crown workshops, cooking classes, dance classes (including ‘learn to dance like Beyonce!’), photography courses, yoga and mindfulness or learn to surf, sail, ski or snowboard!
3. Cultural and Philanthropic Activities
Our top pick of student day trips departing Sydney include a Blue Mountains Day Trip - a fantastic way to experience the incredible wildlife, spectacular lookouts, fascinating aboriginal rock engravings, and the magic of this UNESCO heritage site.
The Hunter Valley is another popular student day trip, sample incredible local wines and delicacies harvested in the picturesque Hunter Valley region!
Or for more local Sydney experiences, consider volunteering your society to provide support at a local charitable organisation (Ozharvest is one of our personal faves) or upcoming cultural event or festival.
Seasonal Events in Sydney
Last but not least, there are a bunch of seasonal events celebrated in Sydney that your society can be a part of during the calendar year. These include:
- Paddy’s Day
- Good Friday
- Vivid Festival
- Cinco De Mayo
- Independence Day
- Christmas in July
- Christmas Eve
OzParty host exclusive student cruise and venue hosted events in Sydney for each of these calendar celebrations. Contact us for more information on how your society can gain access to these events.
Need help to organise all or part of your uni student events this year?
Or looking for social event ideas?
Contact our OzParty student event experts today to access our exclusive network of student venue, entertainment and activity providers at preferential rates.
Sydney Student Event Expert: Alex C
Contact: email@example.com | 1800 697 278 - Opt. 1 |
Top Tip: Start planning your Grad Ball early, popular venues in Sydney get booked up quickly for peak dates! Check out our top pick of ballrooms in Sydney. And be sure to contact us for access to our preferential student rates for your 2018 Student Gala Ball.