Have you ever attended a much anticipated event to walk away feeling dissatisfied, uninspired or unfulfilled? One that appeared to have all of the right ingredients on the tin, but failed to connect, or plug you in to the experience?
If so, you're not alone.
Where is the Event Planning Process Failing?
Undoubtedly, truly Extraordinary Events have the power to change the way people feel. To touch, move, excite and inspire. To create meaningful memories.
Events can be used as a highly effective medium to authentically connect and engage with people in a deep and meaningful way. Many of us hold at least one memory of a spine-tingling, awe-inspiring experience, that distracted us from the frenzy of our daily lives, and immersed us in the magic of the moment.
Whether it be as a festival goer at Burning Man or Glasto, a spectator at Sydney's Olympic Opening Ceremony or a participant at a radical, game-changing TedX talk, there's one key event principle underpinning them all. These events purposefully weave attendee experience into the very fabric of the event, by design.
Ok great, so what's the issue?
Brilliant Experiences require meticulous planning, creative thought and flawless execution. Throw into the mix a bunch of logistical challenges, big creative concepts, sponsor directives, budget constraints and business goals, and you've got yourself a maelstrom of competing event objectives to control and balance.
Many events fail to hit the mark because the balance of focus is lost to objectives outside of the core attendee experience. Of course all of these elements are crucially important in the event planning process, alongside careful consideration of venues, event styling, entertainment, amenities, catering, lighting and music etc.
However, to create a truly enriching and engaging experience that leaves attendees buzzing about you, your brand, company or cause, you must place guest experience at the heart of the event design process from the very beginning.
In creating brilliant experiences, the art lies in connecting the many moving, and often competing parts together in synchronicity, whilst always holding guest experience at the heart.
How to Add Brilliance to your Next Event
So where do we begin to re-align our fundamental approach to event planning. Here's a few starting blocks to get us underway:
- Set out your Event Objectives and Write Them Down. This can be as simple as - "I want my team to feel truly appreciated and valued". Or "I want my brand tribe to feel a sense of beauty, femininity and empowerment". Fight for clarity and simplicity on this. This will become your guiding beacon. If you can't clearly articulate your Event Purpose - keep working on it.
- Understand Your Audience. What interests them? What excites them? What do they enjoy reading? eating? drinking? Custom design your Event Experience to align and engage with audience wants, needs and desires.
- Visually Roadmap your Attendee Experience from Start to Finish. Map out your guests "event journey". Starting with the event announcement and personal invitations, through to travel arrangements, arrival, 'on-event' and 'post-event' experience. Pay particular attention to how you can make a great first impression? And what will be guests lasting impression?
- Choreograph your Attendees' 'On-Event' Experience. Visualise guest movement and sensory perception through space and time. What will guests, see, hear, touch, taste, smell? How can you elevate the senses? Check for balance of time and seamless flow throughout the event, across networking, relationship building, entertainment, interaction, participation, nourishment and rest.
- Seek out Authentic, Impactful elements Designed to Positively Stir Emotions. Incorporate carefully considered creative concepts, interactive stations, themes, technologies and take-aways that are cohesive with the primary Event Purpose and genuinely give the audience something they want.
Planning an Event, seeking guidance?
Get in touch!
Dan, MD @ OzParty_Events
1800 OZ PARTY (697 278)